CBM OF AMERICA, LLC
FIBER CHARACTERIZATION TECHNICIAN
The Lead Fiber Characterization Technician (A side Tech or Lead FC Tech) should have experience in all aspects of fiber optic testing and troubleshooting. He/she will be responsible for all of the field-testing process under the direction of an installation supervisor. He will be responsible for providing continuous updates to the management team about milestones, site arrival, work completion, site departure, and any delays/obstacles jobsite related. He will also provide timely progress updates on the overall project, and relay any pertinent information to the customer/installation supervisor, via project management software. The Lead FC Tech will be personally responsible for maintaining his/her respective certifications. He/she will be the “Lead” of the assigned crew.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To perform all Fiber Characterization Tests:
- Optical Time Domain Reflectometry (OTDR)
- Optical Return Loss
- Optical Power Loss
- Dispersion Tests
- Polarization Mode Dispersion (PMD)
- Chromatic Dispersion (CD)
- Maintain tools assigned to the job as well as monitor tool calibration requirements
- Preparation and submission of daily reports to the installation supervisor.
- Assigning specific tasks to lower level installers assigned to his/her team, and monitoring their work for efficiency, quality, and safety.
- Work with supervisor for scheduling.
- Responsible for the accuracy in the test results by verifying data from opposite end before leaving the site.
- Coordinate timing and procedures of doing testing within the customer’s maintenance window (with Installation supervisor), if applicable.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all the test parameters required by the customer.
- Completes quality assurance on all reports to check the data for errors and inconsistencies.
- Responsible for overall safety, quality, and efficiencies of his/her crew.
- Interfaces with customer representatives while on site.
- Provides technical support for customer contacts and Technicians on request.
- Implement and integrate the node-to-node by OTDR trace, power trace, resolving OSP issues, and high reflecting issue
- BER Testing over all deployment to build the 100G circuit on new system to ensure proper testing of entire system
- Perform commissioning and integration of optical transport equipment and Long Haul Integration
- to include photonics, power audits and signal flow
- Perform hardware testing, such as power verification, device provisioning and system tests.
- Perform long term, load, stress and performance characterization testing.
- Perform inventory of all job related materials.
- Ensure project deadlines, timely service and quality standards are met.
- Produce test reports and analysis documents.
- Maintain on-site job records and administration tracking.
- Apply logical troubleshooting procedures to network services including logical fault isolation on network equip, carrier circuitry, CPE, customer wiring, and customer hardware and software applications to customer satisfaction
- Become proficient with internal project management software as it applies to tracking all aspects of order flow.
- Work closely with the Engineering and Project Managers to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Meet or exceed customer and internal documented acceptable levels of quality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Network Engineer should have minimum 5 years Data Center/PoP/CO commissioning/provisioning/test & turn-up experience.
- Proficient in the use of all Fiber Characterization test equipment from various manufacturers – EXFO, VIAVI, and others
- Efficient use of any and all fiber cleaning kits
- Should possess a good mechanical aptitude.
- Should have the ability to adapt to various work environments
- Should have good knowledge of optical routing equipment installations
- Should have good knowledge of fiber optic cable installation & testing practices.
- Should have good knowledge of AC/DC power
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet; must be adept at learning different computer programs and business systems.
- Must have clean driving and criminal records and successfully pass a drug test.
- Test equipment, tools and materials used in construction, installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of telecommunications systems and equipment.
Credentials and Experience:
- Requires minimum of 2 years of Data Center/PoP/CO installation/test & turn-up experience.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of testing and cleaning optical fibers