CBM of America, LLC
Detail Engineer Job Description
Reports To: Engineering Supervisor or Engineering Manager
This is a first-level remote position in the Engineering department. A Detail Engineer is responsible for creating bill of materials (BOM), installation specifications (installer work items, notes, and cable running lists), methods of procedure (MOP), and updating office records, drawings, and databases for various data, switch, transport, and video technologies which will be used by the Installation team to complete a quality, timely, and efficient installation. A Detail Engineer will work closely under the mentorship of a Senior Detail Engineer and Engineering Supervisor or Manager to learn CBMA’s processes, systems, and culture, and will engage with peers for continued growth via on-the-job training.
- High School diploma or equivalent. College and/or technical/trade school is a plus.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of relevant Telecommunications Detail Engineering experience. Installation experience in addition Detail Engineering experience is a plus.
- An advanced understanding of various software applications – Google Workspace suite of tools (Docs, Sheets, etc.) and Microsoft Office suite of tools (Excel, Word, etc.). CAD and/or Visio experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of Central Office and Data Center environments. Knowledge of overhead and underfloor infrastructure is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex technical documents – equipment and product technical specs and drawings, application standards, office drawings, site survey reports, etc.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, active listening and engagement.
- Commitment to quality – the ability to complete work with minimal to no defects.
- Customer focused attitude with a technical aptitude and willingness to learn.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly to meet strict deadlines.
Analytical, Critical Thinking, Logic, Reasoning, and Problem-solving Abilities:
- Ability to logically think through the process of telecommunications installation and engineering.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to apply critical thinking and logic to solve a wide range of engineering, intellectual, technical, and practical problems.
- Must possess analytical skills and the ability to read and interpret technical documents and translate the information into a detailed installation specification
- Ability to use common engineering tools effectively such as a tape measure, calculator, power calculator, etc.
- Read and interpret customer scope of work, site survey report, equipment and product technical specs and drawings, equipment application standards, and office drawings with end goal of translating the information obtained into bill of materials (BOM), installation specification, and database, drawings, and records updates.
- Learn and understand telecommunications industry and multiple customer practices and standards
- Learn and understand customer specific software applications, tools, and databases
- Participate in site surveys when required.
- Generate an accurate bill of materials (BOM) with minimal to no defects.
- Create an accurate Installation Specification with minimal to no defects.
- Create of Methods of Procedure (MOP).
- Update office drawings (floor plan, frame and aisle lighting plan, grounding schematic, cable rack and auxiliary framing plan, fiber raceway plan, etc.).
- Update customer inventory databases and records (physical equipment and circuit).
- Interface with internal Site Survey Engineers, Installers, Purchasing and Procurement staff, Warehouse staff, and Service Delivery Organization staff while maintaining the utmost professionalism.
- Interface with customer representatives while maintaining the utmost professionalism.
- Complete work on time while producing high-quality results with minimal defects.
- The employee will be required to use his/her hands 90% of the time to type, write, and handle paperwork.
- The employee will be sitting at a desk 80% of the time with walking between offices and other work areas from time to time. At times, employee is required to make customer visits to resolve problems or provide customer service.
- The employee may, from time to time, be required to lift weight (i.e., paper boxes) up to 15 pounds.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) is generally required, as the employee will be working at a computer and working with files & paperwork.
- This is a remote position.